Accessing Mediation

Conversation is change

Mediation Services in Scotland

The Additional Support for Learning Act states Local Authorities must offer independent mediation services to try to resolve disagreements about additional support for learning issues. Parent/carers and young people aged 16-18 can access independent mediation free of charge. All Local Authorities have to provide this service and publish information about the Mediation Service they use.

Resolve provides mediation in these Local Authority areas

  • Argyll & Bute
  • Borders
  • Clackmannan
  • East Dunbarton
  • East Renfrew
  • Falkirk
  • Fife
  • Glasgow
  • Midlothian
  • North Lanark
  • Renfrewshire
  • Stirling
  • South Ayrshire
  • South Lanark
  • West Dunbarton
  • Western Isles

If you are not in an area Resolve covers Enquire might be able to help find a mediation provider.

Key Steps to Mediation

Speak with the School

In the first instance you should try to resolve any disagreements locally at school by talking to the teacher or head teacher at your child or young person’s school. Our guide to good conversations will help you prepare for this and any future meetings

Contact the Local Authority

If you are not satisfied with the outcome from conversations with your school you should ask to speak with an Education Manager who has responsibility for your school. You can ask your school for their contact details.

Request Mediation

At this point if you are still unable to resolve your issues or disagreements locally you can now request independent mediation. You can make this request to your local authority or contact the mediation service for your area and ask them to begin the process.

“Good conversations are key to resolving conflict”

Resolve Mediator

Why use mediation?

Mediation helps you engage positively with conflict.

What happens at mediation?

Sessions where you get support to talk and listen.

Further questions?

Our team are here to help in complete confidentiality.

Back to top